A “web standards” website is built to adhere to standards of HTML, XHTML, CSS, XSLT, DOM resulting in lean, clean, CSS-based, accessible, usable and search engine friendly website.
Common characteristics “Web Standards” website include:
- Semantically correct markup.
- CSS used to separate content from presentation.
- Tables used only for tabular data NOT page layout.
- Valid high quality code.
- Accessible code (for humans and devices).
How do YOU benefit from Web Standards?
- Faster page download (less code, valid code, table-less).
- Content is accessible to a wide range of users.
- Content is accessible to screen readers, PDA’s, Smart Phones. text based browsers etc.
- Allows users to customize site appearance.
- Better search engine rankings.
- Easier to maintain.
- More usable.
Ask your developer and ensure that your website is built on web standards.